- Bupropion SR (Zyban™) is a medication to help you quit tobacco by reducing cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Zyban™ DOUBLES your chances of quitting tobacco.
- A Doctor or Nurse Practitioner can prescribe it for you.
- This medication is usually taken once in the morning for the first three days, then once in the morning and once in the early evening for 12 weeks.
- Take this medication with or without food.
- You should start this medicine one to two weeks before your quit date.
- Nicotine replacement products, like the patch and gum, can be used with Zyban™ if you are still craving nicotine during treatment.
Zyban™ may not be the best medicine for you if you:
- Drink alcohol regularly;
- Have high blood pressure;
- Have a seizure disorder; or
- Are taking other prescription or non-prescription medications.
Side effects of Zyban™ include:
- Dry mouth;
- Trouble sleeping;
- Headache; and
- Shakiness or nervousness.