- Nicotine gum gives you a burst of nicotine to help with cravings. It can be used together with the patch.
- There are two strengths of gum. The best one for you depends on how much you smoke or chew. Your Health Care Provider can help you choose the right one.
How to use nicotine gum:
- You should not chew nicotine gum like regular chewing gum.
- Use the “bite and park” technique. Bite the gum once or twice, then “park” it between your cheek and gums.
- Wait one minute, then bite and park the gum again.
- Repeat the bite and park process for 30 minutes.
- It takes 15 to 30 minutes for the gum to start working. This means you should start using the gum before you need it. For example, if you had a routine of smoking on coffee breaks, you should take the gum 30 minutes before a coffee break.
- Do not eat or drink for 15 minutes before using and while chewing the gum.
- Keep the gum away from children and pets.
- Click HERE to watch a video about how to use the gum.
Side effects of the nicotine gum include:
- Upset stomach;
- Mouth, throat or gum irritation;
- Sore jaw;
- Headaches; and
- Trouble sleeping.