- Varenicline (Champix™) is a medication to help you quit tobacco by reducing cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Champix™ TRIPLES your chances of quitting tobacco.
- A Doctor or Nurse Practitioner can prescribe it for you.
- This medication is usually taken once a day for the first three days, then two times a day for 12 weeks.
- Take this medicine with food and lots of water. It can help reduce an upset stomach.
- You should start this medicine one to two weeks before your quit date.
- Nicotine replacement products, like the patch and gum, can be used with Champix™ if you are still craving nicotine during treatment.
Champix™ may not be the best medicine for you if you:
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding; or
- Have kidney problems.
Side effects of Champix™ include:
- Trouble sleeping;
- Strange dreams; and