Weight Gain and Quitting
The average person who quits smoking gains less than 10 pounds. Smoking is much worse for you than gaining weight. Smoking is equal to being 100 pounds overweight!
Here are some tips to prevent weight gain:
- Eat regularly.
- Keep your mouth busy.
- Try chewing on mint toothpicks, plastic straws or sugar-free gum. You can also suck on ice cubes and frozen fruit.
- Stock up on healthy snacks like:
- Apple slices, grapes, berries, carrot sticks;
- Hard-boiled eggs;
- Baked bannock, rice crackers/cakes;
- Dried meat or fish; and
- Unsalted nuts.
- Make water your main drink:
- Drink eight cups of water or more each day. This is especially important on the day you quit.
- Slowly cut down on coffee, tea, energy drinks and pop.
- Adults should have no more than three cups of caffeinated drinks per day.
- Pregnant women should drink no more than two cups each day.