The journey to becoming tobacco-free is different for everyone and takes practice. Explore this section to learn about the proven ways to increase your chances of quitting for good.
There are many reasons to quit smoking. This is especially true if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Quitting can help your baby:
- Be born at the right time (not too early);
- Be born at the right weight (not too small);
- Have a lower risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS);
- Have a lower risk of asthma; and
- Have a lower risk of ear infections.
The best thing you can do for your baby is to stop smoking completely. Talk to your Health Care Provider to learn more about quit supports, like medications and counselling. Nicotine Replacement Therapy is safer for you and your baby than tobacco.
If you cannot quit completely, smoke less than five cigarettes per day.